June 6, 2012
In practically every event, you will see a celeb rocking the chic, high ponytail look. I thought it would be impossible to achieve because my hair is so flat, but with a teasing comb, even girls with hair like mine are guaranteed tons of volume. Score this chic high ponytail, a la Christine Teigen in 7 simple steps.
- Start off with hair that has been air dried – blow-drying your hair will make it too styled and flat, preventing you from achieving maximum volume.
- Part your hair down the middle, and then take your two thumbs and move them towards the back of your head, picking up the front portion of your hair to set aside for the poof. Twist the portion, clip it back and save it for later.
- To add volume, take your teasing comb and with small portions of hair, back comb until the hair appears messy and gathered. For all you girls with flat and volume-less hair like me – you literally want to tease, tease, and tease. Leave the section set aside for the poof to tease later.
- Once your hair is totally teased, lightly take a comb and brush your hair back down. Although this will remove some of the volume you just created, it will leave enough behind to work with.
- Tie your hair up in a high ponytail – and even curl the ends if you’d like! The pony doesn’t have to be perfect – you can use bobby pins in the color of your hair to smooth out any areas that do not nicely blend back. Leave the front portion alone and clipped up, but don’t put the end strands in the main pony – we will work with them next!
- Now take that front portion and back comb one final time. Spray the hair from behind to give it extra hold and then make a poof with the section – adjusting the size accordingly. Clip back the poof with a bobby pin and lightly spray all over one final time. Play with your poof size until you are happy with it.
- Take the hair that is not part of your poof but part of the section and still hanging down and wrap it around your ponytail to conceal the appearance of it. Clip it in the back.
- To remove any fly aways or to smooth out the look even more, try spraying your hands with hairspray and polish the look, blending in any fly aways and smoothing out the sides.
- If you want the look to appear less polished and structured, pull out some pieces to match the messy look of your pony.
I’m hoping some of your girls start rocking this look like the celebs. It adds a really sophisticated touch to any outfit and when your hair is tied back, you have the opportunity to really play up your makeup. Try adding a dark lip or a smokey eye and you are bound to look bangin’.
- Dakota Doukas