May 20, 2012
My little sister begs me to do her hair before she goes to school each morning, and a messy bun and loose braid is usually our normal routine. Lately, in the honor of summertime, we have been experimenting with the use of ribbons to add color and fun to her outfits. We just came up with a new hairdo and I wanted to share the look with you all. Remember, you can use any color ribbon, or even multiple ribbons, and the tightness of the braid is completely up to you and the look you are wishing to achieve!
Here’s the steps to our messy bun braid:
- Take the front section of your hair and pull it aside. Take the remainder of your hair and tie it in the back into a low messy bun. We will be securing it in place and covering the hair elastic with the ribbon braid later.
- Take the front portion and separate it into three, as you would do with any other braid. However, take the middle section (the one that is typically starting in the back when braiding) and tie a ribbon around the hair, bringing the knot to the top of the head and behind the hair. Feel free to use a bobby pin to conceal the start of the ribbon even more.
- Take the ribbon and wrap it around the middle section of the hair in a spiraling motion. Hold the end of the hair with the ribbon so it does not unravel or put a clear, tight elastic around the bottom.
- Braid the hair normally, pulling the section with the ribbon in a manner that displays the color best. Again, we took the loose and messy approach since she was going to school, so the braid is flowing and imprecise.
- Once the braid is complete, take the elastic off the section with the ribbon and use it to secure the entire bottom of the braid.
- Take the braid and wrap it around the messy bun to bring the ribbon’s color to your bun as well!
- Play around with the ribbon, as it is now secured, and pull out varying pieces or hide varying pieces as you please. The look is totally adjustable!
- Try matching your eye makeup or an accent color in your clothing with the color ribbon you choose to use. This adds indirect emphasis to your entire look and is really fun to work with!
Try this look with any of your typical hairstyles. You can always add a little extra glam to an everyday look by incorporating a ribbon. My sister told me the trend has spread among her classmates and all the girls have been trying out various looks. Make the trend work for your hair and your desired hairstyle and, of course, have fun!
- Dakota Doukas